Sunday, September 1, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

 So I decided to make my own laundry detergent.  Mostly because It's cheap and I like cheap.  But also because it's void of harmful chemicals and I'm also a fan of that.  I got the recipe from the 19 and counting website.. or is it 20 and counting- I can't keep up.  But either way, if anyone knows laundry- I figure it's her!  

Here's what you do!
Put 4 cups of hot water on the stove and grate 1 bar of Fels-naptha soap in the bowl.  You can get it at the grocery store in the laundry aisle- it's kind of hard to see but it's just a couple of bucks!


Grating is hard work!

 

Stir over low heat until it's all melty and gather the other ingredients.  Washing soda and Borax.  

Fill a 5 gallon bucket (home depot) 1/2 full of warm tap water.  Add melty soap, 1 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup borax.  Fill to the top with more water.

  

Add a capful of Thieves household cleaner.  This was my addition to the recipe.  The Young Living Thieves cleaner is a great cleaner and will even take stains out.  I use it to clean all the parts of my house and I thought it would be great to add to the detergent... plus it smells great!


 Here it is in the bucket.  It kind of turns to soap jello when you let it sit overnight.  The next morning stir and start using.  Grab an empty soap container and fill it 1/2 way with the detergent and the other 1/2 with water.  The recipe says use 1/4 cup per load.  I have a front loader and I've been using that super concentrated detergent so I'm just going to use 1/8 cup without diluting it again.  I've done a couple of loads and so far, so good!  There's not a strong detergent smell but I like that- fake smells = chemicals. 

So basically I just made 10 gallons of cleaner (if used properly diluted) and spent probably $7.  This will last forever!  Especially since I do laundry only when absolutely necessary!

 Next time I'm going to use the thieves soap to grate up instead of the Fels-naptha.  It will smell even better and the cleaning/anti-bacterial properties of the oils are un-matched. 

 You can order the thieves cleaner and soap HERE.  Set up a customer account or a wholesale account if you like discounts!  Let me know if you have any questions. Here's more about why I chose Young Living over other oil companies.  I'll blog more about why I love the cleaner later but 1 bottle is $22 and you dilute it on your own.  You just need 1-2 cap-fulls per large spray bottle so that $22 bottle can make about 12 spray bottles of cleaner.  It's a great deal!


If you know me I will give you a sample if you want to try it. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0