Sunday, September 8, 2013

Homemade Peppermint Lip Balm- Like Burt's Bees

 I had been waiting to make this!  I am addicted to Burt's Bees- like seriously addicted.  Can't sleep without it.  There's one by my desk, by my bed, in my purse, in my diaper bag and when I'm somewhere that I don't have it- I go a little crazy.  Burt's Bees is kind of expensive though.  I found a recipe to make by own and I was gathering supplies so I could try it!  The best part?  They are less than $1 each, but I don't do math so I'm not really sure.

 Here we go!

 Gather your supplies.

Peppermint Lip Balm Recipe (Makes 12)


  • 1 TBSP shea butter - I got mine HERE
  • 1 TBSP coconut oil - sprouts, amazon, target- take your pic.  Make it organic, just because.
  • 2 TBSP sweet almond oil - I think I got mine at Target. 
  • 1-1/2 TBSP beeswax- I got it at sprouts.  Amazon has it in pellets I believe- might be easier to measure
  • 1/4 tsp therapeutic grade peppermint oil - get it HERE
  • 0.15 oz. lip balm tubes - get 'em HERE


  • A note on essential oils- make sure you research any oil you are putting on your skin- and since there's a good chance lip balm will end up in your mouth (at least a little) then you want it to be safe to use internally.  And that pretty much narrows it down to a few companies.  My favorite is Young Living and I tell you why HERE


     So take all the ingredients except the peppermint and put them in your double boiler.  
    No, that isn't a double boiler.  It's my redneck version of one.  I don't think have have a double boiler.  My mom would be ashamed.  
    While everything is getting melty get your chapstick tubes ready.


    Okay, so this part isn't how a professional would do it.  Here was my thought process.  
    I needed to get the tubes standing up.
    I needed to have them in something that I could move all 12 of them to a safe place so they could sit open for 24 hours.
    I found the smallest container I could but the tubes only fit around the edges so I needed something to keep them from falling inward so I thought the chapstick tops and gross candy would do the trick.
    I have no idea why I have heart candy in my pantry.
    I have no idea why I couldn't find dry beans or rice which would have been a better choice.



     As soon as it's done melting pour your peppermint oil in.  I think 1/4 tsp was about 27 drops.  Now that I have my chapstick I would have preferred a little more. Maybe about 25 drops.  But I like it nice and tingly. 
    Let them sit lids off for 24 hours.  They harden really fast even though my house is approx 100 degrees.  According to the original recipe they will stay hard even in a hot car. 

    Here they are all done!  I have enough extra to make a little jar and I added a couple of drops of grapefruit to it.  I like it too!  
    You can tell that it got a little messy when I was pouring it into the tubes.  I could have wiped it off but then you might wonder why mine wasn't messy when yours is.  

    Let me know if you have questions.  I hope you have fun making your own!

    I found this recipe HERE.  Next I'm going to try her homemade deodorant!

    4 comments:

    Rebecca Story said...

    Girl, when do you sleep???

    Dina said...

    That is awesome! Now you need to make a cute label for them!

    One Crazy Blessed Mama/Boozer Bunch said...

    Super impressed with all your homemade stuff!

    Linda Whitten said...

    This is the best lip balm I have ever used. Normally I don't even like chap stick or whatever - this stuff is great. It really works - I hope it is okay if I steal some since I am at your house!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    Swidget 1.0