Sunday, April 18, 2010

Just call me professor awesome...

Yes, yes.  I've had 2 classes and haven't posted about it.  So, here it goes. 
I teach drafting 1 on Wednesday mornings from 8-12.  I have 8 interior design majors in my class.  7 girls and 1 guy.  They are super sweet and all different ages.   They have NO CLUE what they are getting into with this major... but neither did I or any other college freshman. 

They don't think I'm funny and they probably think I'm a little crazy. Four hours of teaching is intense.  Day 1 I wear heels and I was totally regretting it after 4 hours.  The second class I was in flats- much better. 

This class has so much information.  They have to learn how to create a set of construction documents for a house in 11 weeks.  ahhhh, it's quick.  First class we worked on reading a scale, lineweights and lettering along with getting introduced to the class, each other, me and their supply kits.  It's a LOT.  Class 2 we worked on how to draw a floor plan.  Another really full class and we didn't get as far as I had wanted- but there are some classes later in the semester that are less full so we can catch up. 

The first class they had 3 homework assignments and the second class when they turned in the assignments exactly 0 of them turned in everything they were supposed to.  Hmmmm, I'm guessing I need to re-think how I assign the homework.  Next class I said "get a pen and write this down".  Seemed logical to me but I guess sometimes you need to be specific. 

This week, we are studing dimensioning and labeling and it is still one of my least favorite tasks.  4 hours of my least favorite task- and I have to sell it to a group of students who can't know that I hate it.  On top of that, the Dean who hired me (and will decide if they keep me) will be sitting in on the class for a little while.  No pressure. 

I had no idea how much prep work it would take.  Hours of lesson planning before class... but if I teach this class again all the leg work will be done. 

Thanks for praying for me during this transition.  I've been off of work (the interior design job) for 2 weeks while I transition into teaching and it's been awesome.  I can get so. much. done.  when i'm not at work every day.  On the other hand, I don't sit down like ever.  Less internet, less TV, less phone-  much, much better.  I cleaned the house the other day.  The whole house.  Like vaccumed every room on the same day kind of clean.  I have never done that before.  Don't judge. 
This week I will be picking up a few hours at CMA so we will see how that goes.  We are attempting to live more "frugally" and it's difficult.  I miss Starbucks.  I haven't had a pedicure in forever.  But I can learn to paint my own toes and make my own tea. 

I love being home more.  It's sooooo different.... in a good way.

1 comment:

Lori Calder said...

Loved the update. I am so glad that teaching is going well, and you are enjoying your time at home!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0