Monday, June 1, 2009

Welcome to the "real" world.

It happens every year. June 1st. It used to be a monumental day, one of the best days of the year. The official start of summer. Yes I realize that the official "official" start of summer isn't until mid June but when you are in school, June 1st is what counts. So why, after being in the real world for over 5 years, am I still sad at the beginning of June. I guess after 23 years of school, it's a hard routine to break. See, today, the beginning of summer, I'm at work, like I am ever day. There will be no change, no different hours, no sleeping in, no staying up late, nothing. Same as every other day, except now, we sit under fluorescent lights and look out the window and think "hmmm, it looks warm and sunny out there".
I think colleges should do a better job of mentioning this before we choose a major. On your first day, when you sit down to declare your major, they should look you in the eye and say "Think about this decision... if you are a TEACHER you work the same schecule as when you are a student. That means all summer you don't have to go to work, yet you get PAID. Think long and hard before you make the decision to do anything else."
Luckily, I love what I do but it doesn't make summer any easier. Oh how I long to be sleeping in, laying by the pool, and doing whatever I want, whenever I want. Although with a baby, I think those days are long gone anyways.

1 comment:

Lori Calder said...

Cat, I am in total agreement. I feel like the start of summer should signify "fun times ahead" like it used to when we were younger. But unfortunately we have grown up and live in the real world, with real jobs. And it is even harder to go to work in the summer since I leave Mike in bed as he enjoys his time off from teaching. No fair! Oh well, I'm not cut out to be a teacher, but I would love a vacation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0