Sunday, April 4, 2010

Yummy Chai Tea Recipe

So yeah, It's not a secret that I love chai.  So very much.  In fact, Chai lead to my Starbucks addiction that I'm currently trying to quit without going to therapy.  Actually Starbucks doesn't have the best chai- just the most convienant.  The best chai is from a company called Big Train.  I learned about this one at a coffee house in Nacogdoches.  Turns out, the cafe at Nordstrom makes that brand of chai so if you are ever at a Nordstrom- give it a try.  The key is, the Chai Nordstrom uses is a powder base and the Chai Starbucks uses is a liquid base.  I don't know what is more "traditional" but the power is better.  I've tried them all and Big Train is the best... but it's expensive.  Given our new budget constraints- I needed to find a way to feed my addiction for cheaper.

I googled powdered chai recipe and tweaked a recipe until I liked it.  I've had a few people ask for it so I thought I would post it for you.

This is what it looks like before I mixed it.  It makes a lot so be prepared.

1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1 cup flavored creamer (recipe calls for french vanilla but I like chocolate- but you could try something different)
1-1/4 cup sugar (the recipe calls for twice that but we have found it doesn't need it)
1-1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon allspice (recipe calls for cardamom but I can't find that at the store yet)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (trust me)

Mix em all up, stick the powder in the blender (maybe do this in 2 batches) & blend it up.  It will make a super fine powder.  Add 2 tablespoons to milk or water.  I like milk- it makes it super creamy. 

Okay, enjoy and let me know if you are going to try it!

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Sounds yummy :) I'm not a big tea person, but I think that is because I have never had truly good tea. I need to come over soon to play with C and try some :)

The K Family said...

Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE chai as well. Not sure if you shop at Costco, but they have a delicious Chai there called "Chamba Chai." It's in a huge container and contains "no hydrogenated oils." It's also in a powder-based form.

Love your blog! I'm also one of your latest followers! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0