Thursday, November 26, 2009

The making of a Jelly Roll

Not the kind I have around my waist, the kind pictured in the bottom left corner of this magazine.

I want to be a domestic diva, I really do. I wanted to make this jelly roll because I wanted to see if I could. Not because we needed it for thanksgiving or because someone had requested it. No, because I needed a challenge, because if Martha can do it I want to also, because making a total mess in the kitchen if fun to me.

You have to excuse the excessive amount of pictures in this post. I got a new camera and was trying it out. I also don't want the difficulty of this dish to go unnoticed.

I don't think you're ready for this jelly.

First, spray a rimmed cooking sheet, put parchment paper down, then spray and flour. I can handle that.

To make the cake batter you have to chop almonds very fine. What better to accomplish that than a babyfood maker? Seriously though, who requires a recipe where you have to food process your almonds, can't you just throw some almond extract in there? I don't think I chopped my almonds fine enough but this was AFTER Cason went to bed so I didn't have tons of time here.

3 eggs and 2 egg yolks. Separating eggs is always messy in my kitchen.
Then you have to whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl while holding it over a pot of simmering water. Why I couldn't just mix them together I have no idea. If that wasn't enough then I had to mix them with a hand mixer until they were white and fluffy. 7 minutes. That sounds quick but when you are holding a hand mixer it feels like forever.

For the cranberry jelly you have to cook down fresh cranberries with sugar then puree the cranberries. Thank you baby food maker... again!

This is not nearly as messy as it got but I had some time while the cranberries cooked down.

Here's the cake inverted on a towel.
Here's where I get nervous.

I had to roll up the cake into the towel. I had visions of it crumbling. It only did in the center a little, but otherwise okay.

When it's cooled you unroll and spread with cranberry jelly and then with a cream cheese and sugar mixture.
Getting nervous again...
Then I have to roll it up. It rolled. Didn't look as pretty as Martha's but still not bad.
That's when I read the final instruction. Cover in fridge for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours. That's not exactly what I was hoping to see. We were not going to be eating this until after thanksgiving dinner so what exactly would happen if I left it in the fridge for more than 3 hours?
Well, we were going to have to find out because I'd spent too long working on it to toss it out now. I was sure it would be dry and gross by the time dinner rolled around. Too bad, they were eating it anyways.

It wasn't. It was actually really good and not dry. that's the picture of it ready to be served. Looks much better with the ends trimmed off.

And that's my big cooking adventure.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0